Hello! Week 3 of the Share Handmade Kindness Challenge is focused on kids. Although we can participate by giving cards to kids in our own lives, I thought it would be good to give to some kids who could especially use a smile.
So… this week I am also hosting what I call a “Card Shower.” This means I am asking everyone to send in happy cards to two children that are battling cancer. If you have time, you can also create a card for their family members. These kids need smiles – and we can do that!
I found two kids – a girl and a boy – who are battling cancer. First I will introduce the kids, then I will share details on how you send cards.
CARDS FOR EMILY
Sweet Emily is 6 and has been fighting cancer (Neuroblastoma) since the age of 4. You can learn more about her at Prayers for Emily.
If you would like to send Emily cards, here is some information to keep in mind:
- Emily is 6.
- She likes dark pink, outdoors, babies, swimming and animals. Since she is learning to read, simple messages are great. Also, if a child wants to send a picture (photo or drawing) that would be something she would love.
- Family members:
- Sister: Evelyn (age 3 1/2)… who would love to get cards, also! Evelyn likes pink and purple. She also likes camping, climbing, shoes and playing dress up.
- Mom: Myra
- Dad: Charlie
CARDS FOR XANDER
Kind-hearted Xander is 10 years old and was diagnosed with Ewing’s Sarcoma (a bone/soft tissue cancer) at age 6. He has a tumor in his hip and tumors in his lungs. He’s currently on his 4th relapse and under hospice care. You can learn more about him at Strength for Xander.
If you would like to send Xander cards, here is some information to keep in mind:
- Xander is 10.
- He loves sports, especially paintball and baseball. He also likes all kinds of arts and crafts. He’s a movie junkie and can watch the same ones over and over!
- Family members:
- Brother: Jaden (age 14)… who loves soccer, Legos, history, the military and airplanes.
- Mom: Angie… who loves scrapbooking!
- Dad: James
CARD SHOWER DETAILS
Here are some important details. Please read! It is simple, helpful info:
- This Card Shower will be going on through 12/15/15. I need to receive your card by 12/15/15. (International folks – if yours gets here late, that is ok!)
- PLEASE, do not use messages of get well soon, feel better, etc. Instead please use messages of happiness. Some suggestions include: sending smiles, thinking of you, kids’ jokes, hello, you rock, etc. Keep the cards very happy, uplifting, and kid friendly. Christmas/holiday/etc. cards are welcome.
- All cards need to have a message in it – stamped or handwritten.
- Please sign your name and where you are from inside the card.
- Get your kids involved! Kids love to get cards from other kids.
- The family members of Emily and Xander would also enjoy receiving cards – especially the siblings. I shared their info above, too. So feel free to send cards for them!
- I have done Card Drives in the past and those are about collecting as many cards as possible. This Card Shower is different – it is not about quantity but rather quality of the message. Put your heart into it – that is all that is needed! One card per kid is good. (Additional cards can be directed towards family members. Or maybe your kids could also make cards for the Card Shower.)
- Please stick to just cards – standard size 4-1/4″ x 5-1/2″ or smaller.
- If you want to send a gift other than a card, please email me. We will try to arrange something to make that happen. (If you would like, you could always put a simple gift card inside to Target or Toys R Us, etc. But this is not at all expected. This is really just about cards.)
- You can send the card(s) in a package. Or, you can send the card in an envelope as you normally would but addressed to me. When I get it, I will switch it to a plain envelope with the child’s name.
- If you want to be considered for a prize, please include a post-it note for me in the envelope/package with your name and email address clearly written. For the prize, there is one entry per person, not per card sent in.
- If you send your card in a package, please do not seal the card envelopes. The parents may want to peek at the card before giving it to the child.
I am personally (with the help of my family!) collecting the cards and will send them on to the family. (I didn’t want the families to deal with the hassle of lots of cards trickling in. This way they will get a couple of boxes of cards and can open when they need them most.) You can send cards to here:
Attn: Card Shower
PO Box 42820
Cincinnati, OH 45242
If you have questions, please email me.
CARD SHOWER GIVEAWAY
Normally when I do Card Drives, I have a long list of prizes that you are eligible to win if you send in cards. However, for this Card Shower, I really want to keep it simple and keep the focus on the kindness we are sharing. So I am offering one great prize instead.
Of the cards I receive for this Card Shower, I will randomly pick a winner of a $200 crafty prize, including stamps, dies, Copic Markers, and more.
Only one entry per person, no matter how many cards you send. Again, this is about putting our heart into cards for these two kids and their family. To be eligible, I must receive your card for the Card Shower by 12/15/15. The winner’s name will be randomly selected and posted on my “Winners page” after the 12/20/15. International folks are eligible, too! Prize personally donated.
Do you think you can participate? Leave a comment telling me what card ideas you have for these sweet kid’s and their families. Let’s brighten their day! xo
The Card Shower logo was kindly created by Mommy Lhey. Be sure to check out her stamps – I will be using them soon.