Hi! People often ask how I am able to keep my craft room organized. The key for me is to be prepared. If I have my storage supplies ready when I get new products, I am more likely to stay on top of it. Here’s how…
So this is my “Stay Organized Container.” In it I have what I need to organize my stamps, dies, etc. Yes, it took me some time to prepare this container. But – oh my – it saves me a ton of time in the long run. Whenever I get a new product in the mail, I immediately reach for this container. SO much faster… leaving more time for me to create!
I organize all of my storage pockets in a strong clear container. The dividers I use are cut from plastic folders and are sized 7 1/4″ x 9″. I keep my label maker and adapter cord in the front of the container. (To see how to set your label maker to conserve tape, watch THIS video.) I have a lot of pockets in this container, so it will last me awhile.
Please keep in mind that this is my job so I gotta stay organized and this freaky-prepared-container helps me. You could also just prepare a handful of whatever storage pieces you use in a container and it would be a huge help!
All of the pockets come empty, so I create white cardstock inserts using inexpensive cardstock. I also show in the video the “insert cheat sheets” I have so I don’t have to remember the dimensions. A big time-saver!
Here is all the info on the pockets I use: (Note: The engineer in me used pretty detailed measurements. You could always round down… I provided those measurements, too.)
- Holds the most popular 4″ x 6″ stamp sets and smaller. There are two options: Avery Elle (25/pack) or Simon Says Stamp (50/pack) pockets.
- Pocket size: 5 9/16″ x 7 3/8″
- Inserts size: 5 3/8″ x 7 5/16″ (or round down to 5 1/4″ x 7 1/4″)
- Click HERE for a video on how I store my stamps.
- Holds tall 8″ x 4″ stamp sets (such as some My Favorite Things).
- Pocket size: 5 11/16″ x 8 5/8″ – I cut a bit off the top to make it 8 1/4″ tall.
- Inserts size: 5 1/2″ x 8 1/4″
- Click HERE for a video on how I store my stamps – I just put these in with my other stamps.
- Holds large 6″ x 8″ stamp sets (such as some WPlus9, Altenew, etc.)
- Pocket size: 6″ x 10″ – you will have to cut a bit off the top to make it 8″ tall.
- Inserts size: 5 15/16″ x 8″ (or round down to 5 3/4″ x 8″)
- Note: This is a snug fit. I wanted something that wasn’t too wide so it would fit in most containers. You may have to trim a bit of extra plastic of the side of some stamp sets. (I have only had to do a few times.)
- I store these separately from my other stamps… in THIS container.
- Holds 6″ x 6″ background cling stamp sets and smaller (including square and regular, such as My Favorite Things, Hero Arts, etc.)
- Pocket size: 6 11/16″ x 8 5/8″ - I cut a bit off the top to make it 6 5/8″ tall.
- Inserts size: 6 5/8″ x 6 5/8″ (or round down to 6 1/2″ x 6 1/2″)
- Click HERE for a video on how I store my background stamps.
- Holds most dies, excluding large dies.
- Pocket size: 5 1/8″ x 5″
- Inserts size: 4 13/16″ x 4 13/16″ (or round down to 4 3/4″ x 4 3/4″)
- For any dies that are too big for these pockets, I use regular stamp pockets.
- Click HERE for a video on how I store my dies.
- Holds most stencils.
- Pocket size: 6 7/16″ x 6 1/4″ – I cut the flap off the top to make it 6 1/4″ tall.
- Inserts size: 6 1/4″ x 6 1/4″
- This size pocket is close to that of the background pockets. You could use those for stencils instead.
- Some stencils are taller than these pockets. I just allow them to stick out.
- Click HERE for a video on how I store my stencils.
Note: I really spent a lot of time and tried my best in pulling this info together. Please let me know if you see any info that needs updating!
If you are looking for more organization videos, just head HERE.
Interested in winning the label maker I love so much? For your chance, leave a comment below by 11:59pmEST on 8/22/15 telling me your favorite crafty organization tip. (The winner’s name will be randomly selected and posted on my “Winners page” after the giveaway closes. International folks are eligible, too!)
Interested in the products I used? To make them easy for you to find, I have listed them below. (Affiliate and product disclosure can be found here. All products were personally purchased.) Click on the letters below each picture to go to a favorite store: Simon Says Stamp (SSS) and Amazon (AZ).